Newsletter, June 2014
Frosting & Fondant Competition
Johannesburg only. Finals to be held at the Good Food & Wine Show.
- Decorate a cake at home and send us a photo. We will choose 8 children from each category: 7-10 years & 11-14 years.
- The finalists will be invited to a final at the Good Food & Wine show in Johannesburg on 2 & 3 August 2014 – in the afternoon, to be completed in 1 hour. You will just be icing as cakes will be made for you.
- Have fun and show off your talents in the Baking Theatre at this fabulous food festival! Free entrance to all the finalists. All details to be sent to the parents.
Please send all entries to firstname.lastname@example.org.
I will let you know by the 25th of July.
Amazing Parties Competition extended to end July
Moms have requested an extension on this. So for those of you who had a Little Cooks Club party, please don’t forget to submit your pictures and a review about the party to win a Yuppiechef voucher to the value of R1500.00. Submit to email@example.com.
Final Stages of Winter
Final Stages of Winter and feeling tired make sure you including these foods in your diets for your family:
Here are All About Health’s top 10 detox super foods:
- Almonds—are high in fiber, calcium, magnesium, and useable protein that helps stabilize blood sugar and remove impurities from the bowels.
- Avocados—lower cholesterol and dilate blood vessels while blocking artery-destroying toxicity. Avocados contain a nutrient called glutathione, which blocks at least 30 different carcinogens while helping the liver detoxify synthetic chemicals.
- Beets—contain a unique mixture of natural plant chemicals (phytochemicals) and minerals that make them superb fighters of infection, blood purifiers, and liver cleansers. They also help boost the body’s cellular intake of oxygen, making beets excellent overall body cleansers.
- Blueberries—contain natural aspirin that helps lessen the tissue-damaging effects of chronic inflammation, while lessening pain. Blueberries also act as antibiotics by blocking bacteria in the urinary tract, thereby helping to prevent infections. They have antiviral properties and are loaded with super-detoxifying phytonutrients
- Cabbage—contains numerous anti-cancer and antioxidant compounds and helps the liver break down excess hormones. Cabbage also cleanses the digestive tract and soothes the stomach, which could in part be due to its antibacterial and antiviral properties. Cruciferous vegetables like cabbage (kale is another excellent choice—see below) demonstrate powerful detoxification activity, including neutralizing some of the damaging compounds found in cigarette smoke (and second-hand smoke). They also contain a compound that helps the liver produce adequate amounts of enzymes for detoxification.
- Cranberries—have powerful antibiotic and antiviral substances to help the body cleanse harmful bacteria and viruses from the urinary tract.
- Flaxseeds and Flaxseed Oil— are loaded with essential fatty acids, particularly the omega-3s. They are essential for many cleansing functions and maintaining a healthy immune system. They are also critical to maintaining a healthy brain. The health of every cell in your body is dependent on getting adequate amounts of essential fatty acids.
- Garlic—helps cleanse harmful bacteria, intestinal parasites, and viruses from the body, especially from the blood and intestines. It also helps cleanse buildup from the arteries and lowers blood pressure. Garlic has anti-cancer and antioxidant properties that help detoxify the body of harmful substances.
- Kale—contains powerful anti-cancer and antioxidant compounds that help cleanse the body of harmful substances. It is also high in fiber, which helps cleanse the intestinal tract. Like cabbage, kale helps neutralize compounds found in cigarette smoke and contains a substance that jump-starts the liver’s production of cleansing enzymes.
- Lemons— are superb liver detoxifiers. In addition, they contain high amounts of vitamin C, a vitamin needed by the body to make a substance called glutathione. Glutathione helps ensure that phase 2 liver detoxification keeps pace with phase 1, thereby reducing the likelihood of negative effects from environmental chemicals. Vitamin C and other antioxidants found in lemons are integral to ward off cancer, fight the effects of pollution and cell damage. Fresh lemon juice contains more than 20 anti-cancer compounds and helps balance the body’s pH levels.
This information was found on the All About Health website – great site to visit.
Please contact the franchise in your area directly for their holiday programmes, which will start next week.
At School Programme
Our At School Programme has become very popular. We are running our Spade to Spatula programme in the schools and children are learning so many beneficial things from growing food to preparing and eating it. If you feel that Little Cooks Club should be in your school, speak to your head mistress and contact your nearest Little Cooks Club representative and see if she can do a demo in your school.
Parties at Little Cooks Club
Due to the huge demand for our awesome parties, please plan your children’s parties in advance – about 3 months in advance. They are so popular and we want your child to enjoy the experience and have the best day ever.
The party themes are:
- Spade to Spatula – planting and cooking
- Whisks and Wooden Spoons – preparing one healthy delight and one naughty
- Kids vs Kitchen – team building challenges with prizes
- Liquorice and Lime – mystery baskets and tastings with prizes
- Frosting and Fondant – cake pops and cake decorating
Our parties are very personalized and special; we put so much emphasis on the children and what they are learning. Book in advance, as our parties are extremely popular. Some of the franchisees make the most beautiful cakes and cake pops if you would like to place your orders with them.
Timeless Family Food Journal
Please order online (www.timelessfamilyfoodjournal.co.za). Only R350 for a book that will last a lifetime. The recipes are fantastic and the children are really enjoying making the book their own with illustrations, pasting in pictures, and moms adding notes and treasured memories. It’s perfect for ages 2 to 14 years and a must have in every home. It contains some great holiday ideas on what to make from soaps and body scrubs to paint and playdough.