Newsletter, April 2017
Time Saving Tips for Busy Parents
Can you believe that we are already at the beginning of April – the beginning of the second quarter of 2017. Where has the time gone? Where does the time go? These are questions we all ask.
As a parent, we are faced with the daily limitation of time. Whether you are a working parent, stay at home parent or a part time working parent, time is the biggest obstacle we are faced with when trying to get our families to eat the healthy food you wish they would. Here are three great ways to help you overcome this challenge and help you accomplish your families healthy eating goals…
Make YOU time
Your attitude towards ME TIME is one of the most important aspects to consider when trying to make changes to succeed with your family’s health and nutrition goals. And yes, this does apply when we talk about lack of time. You need to look after yourself first before you can successfully look after your family. Absolutely, our time constraints are real. Our days are full, full with parental duties, be it; working, taking and fetching your children from school, homework, doing household chores, keeping that sibling peace or grocery shopping… And YES, these are all very important and are part of being a parent, however where do YOU fit into your daily routine?
Why not try these tips to MAKE TIME FOR YOU!
- Make a list of things YOU ENJOY doing and schedule time to do them – painting, drawing, reading a book, taking a walk, going to gym, sitting quietly in the garden, writing – you choose
- Make a list of things YOU WANT to do and schedule time to do them – take a cooking class, go on a weekend away with your spouse or friends, go to the theatre – it’s about YOUR wants
- Plan a night out with friends or even a coffee date – it is amazing how spending time with friends can change your outlook and emotional state
- Make your bath time YOUR TIME. 15 minutes in the bath ALONE with a cup of tea can do wonders
- Plan a date night with your spouse – a three-hour babysitter (a reliable one) never hurt anyone. Spending quality time with your significant other is so important!
REMEMBER if you are exhausted and burnt out emotionally or physically how can you expect to effectively care for your family and their healthy routine?
PLAN the week to WORK for you
This is most definitely not a task that comes easily or naturally to many of us. Looking in the fridge and whipping something up with what is there may have worked before you had your children, but may not work so well now. But how do we overcome the daunting task of planning your weeks meals and shopping?
- Create a standard pantry and fridge stock list. This is a great way to help you plan and stay on top of what you have in the house. Having your go to staples will help alleviate the stress when things don’t go to plan and you need to whip up a quick meal.
- Add to your staples by scheduling time in your week (or every second week) to try a new recipe. This may seem like a daunting task for many but this can be very rewarding (and remember you will have your staple go to items to fall back on should things go pear shaped.)
- Have a few FROZEN HEALTHY meals as backup. Try a casserole or frozen fish that can be popped in the oven; whatever works for your family.
- Teach your house helper (domestic) to cook for you. Allocate one or two nights a week where she can cook for you – you will be amazed at how much pressure this will take off you.
- Get your house helper (domestic) to do your staple stock list for you that you can add too. You may need to teach her how you want it done but once you have… WOW what a help!
- Lastly decide what you will be making and eating for the week. Then when it comes to meal time there is no anxiety or confusion as you scramble to put a meal together as you have your plan in place.
Planning your family’s weekly meals will make shopping SO much easier and less stressful. It will eliminate the last minute need to buy take-out or frozen and premade meals that donâ€™t fit in with your healthy life goals. Although this may seem time consuming on its own, you will be surprised at how much time you will save once it is done. And YOU WILL get better at it the more you plan. With practice and persistence this will save you not only time but stress and frustration as well.
CHOP to make a CHANGE
Schedule in fifteen minutes at the beginning of the week (or whenever works for you; a Sunday afternoon works well for me), and chop your weekly fruit and veggies! You’ll be amazed at how having super fresh fruit and vegetables chopped up in your fridge can encourage healthy eating! Thin slices work well for veggies as they are the most versatile. Fruit can be chopped in chunks or slices.
Pre-Chopped fruit and veggies can be used in many ways:
- Serve veggie sticks with a healthy dip like hummus or cream cheese for a super quick snack.
- Make a quick stir fry with veggie strips, add bits of beef or chicken and toss with soy sauce for a super quick meal.
- You can wrap fruit or veggies in a wrap for a quick snack or lunch box sandwich alternative.
- Chopped fruit can be added to yoghurt for a snack on the go.
- Blend your chopped fruit with frozen berries, yoghurt, honey and a little milk for a delicious smoothie
These three tips are sure to help you save time, destress about shopping and cooking and keep your healthy and nutritious eating goals on track!
These muffins are super delicious and the batter can stay in the fridge for 30 days. You can add variety of dried or fresh fruit, nuts or spices to the batter for variation. Perfect for last minute snacks, breakfast or as a lunch box filler.
Healthy and Delicious Refrigerator Bran Muffins
Yield: makes 48 muffins
2 cups all-bran
2 cups boiling water
4 cups buttermilk
1/2 cup butter, melted
1/2 cup (no-added sugar) applesauce
2 cups sugar
4 large eggs
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
5 cups whole wheat flour
4 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
- In a large bowl with a tight-fitting lid, place the wheat bran flakes (or plain wheat bran) and the all-bran.
- Pour the boiling water over the bran and mix well.
- Stir every couple of minutes while the mixture cools to room temperature.
- The mixture will become very thick and sticky.
- After the mixture cools, add the buttermilk, melted butter, applesauce, sugar, eggs and vanilla. Mix well.
- Add the flour, baking soda and salt.
- Mix well to combine all the ingredients. (The batter can be covered and kept in the refrigerator for up to 30 days.)
- To bake, scoop the batter into greased or lined muffin tins, fill 3/4 full.
- Bake at 180 degrees Celsius for about 14-16 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean or with a few moist crumbs.
Teach Your Domestic to Cook Healthy and Nutritious Meals for Your Family
Little Cooks Club offers At Home Domestic Cooking Classes. This is a great way to help you save time by having a few healthy meals that your domestic can cook for you. We will come to your home and teach her to cook in the kitchen she works in daily. The course includes a full manual that will help you organize your kitchen, give you pantry and fridge staple lists and great weekly menu ideas. You choose the recipes that work for your family and we do the rest.
Contact your nearest franchise for more details.
It Is Competition Time!
Little Cooks Club is having a raffle in support of Althea, the owner of Little Cooks Club Centurion. Althea was recently diagnosed with cancer of the pancreas and we would like to help lighten the financial burden that comes with this illness.
Stand a chance to WIN a Little Cooks Club Party for 8 children valued at OVER R2000!
Tickets are R150 each. Make a deposit into the below bank account using your phone number as the reference and send your proof of payment to email@example.com to guarantee your entry.
Banking details: FNB Bryanston | 250-017 | 62424190578
Joselin Peters | 084 433 0948
“Wow, am I having fun. The past three years since I took over Little Cooks Mondeor/ JHB South has been amazing. I have met many parents and children, and must say we have wonderful people in our country. The children are so awesome, intelligent and creative. For the past few months I have been teaching two brothers and they really get creative with their minds. I give them something to do, and they take it to the next level. It shows you that if we let our kids be kids they will surprise us. There is nothing like seeing a child proud of him or herself. They are precious and amazing beings. I love them all to bits.”
Anne-Marie Going | 078 528 3389
“I am a mother of three beautiful children, aged 12, 9 and 6. I am married to an awesome husband and I am a very involved family woman. Being a wife to a husband with a very healthy appetite, a mother to a teenager with adhd, a daughter that is a vegetarian and a very picky eater toddler, I have discovered a unique passion for food. I appreciate and understand the importance of creating a love for healthy food through various ways in my own kitchen. A kitchen is where memories are made, where we cry our hearts out, using onions as the excuse and where we give thanks daily for food, seeing the results in our minds and bodies. This is a passion that needs to be shared with others! Food is of vital importance to our lives, a source of so much joy and is so easily taken for granted.
“I am loving each moment I get to share with Little Cooks, Junior Chefs, Babies, Domestics and Adults in my Little Cooks Club Bethlehem studio. Knowing that each person leaving my kitchen, feels the passion and love that I share for food drives me to continue on this path.”
Join the Little Cooks Club Family
Fourways/Dainfern one of the best areas in Johannesburg is up for SALE – don’t miss out on this great opportunity to purchase an AMAZING AREA! Contact Debbie for more info: firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com
The At School Program is available in many areas around the country! No need to your own studio with this franchise. You teach at schools in your area. Contact Christine firstname.lastname@example.org for more info.
Would you like to join our team and offer the Complete Little Cooks Club Program? Of course, you do! Contact Christine email@example.com for more info.
There is a huge demand for franchisees in the following areas:
Fourways/Dainfern – FOR SALE
Sandton / Morningside
Northcliff / Roodepoort
Head Office Contact Details
Head Office (for franchise enquiries)
Christine Phillips, 083 556 3434